i joined the spring kids clothes week challenge as soon as i found about it. i was very excited, hoping to get some cute clothes made for the boys, but unfortunately this week - the week of the challenge, turned out to be the busiest i've had in a while. so by the evening i was always too tired to even clean my desk for some sewing.....BUT by saturday/yesterday, everything settled down a little and first on my list was something i truely hate! to do - mending....my motivation was to have a "clean slate" before i started something new.
...so i mended 9 pairs of play-pants with knee holes using fleece fabric scraps. the only creative part was choosing the colors, but at least the boys have a bunch of almost new pants that can be worn to preschool again! :)
p.s. i used my cup-press method to make the marks for the circles for cutting...easier than tracing!
now off to sew some striped seersucker shorts - yay!....i hope the sewing goes well!
we had already been using these boxes for legos while traveling or keeping Ji busy at restaurants (or other places that involved waiting), but usually the lego creations were all over the place, so i came up with this lego board insert to help contain the legos in or near the container :) and for more fun!
the board was originally intended to attach 3d creations, but as soon as i had it flipped open, i realized it would be great for 2d also - letters/shapes, pictures, designs, games, etc!
- before you start cutting, make a layout so you can make the maximum amount lego board inserts!
- it's best to cut the bottom side....it's easier to cut through holes than over bumps ;)
- the more precise you cut the boards the better the fit! ...it's up to you if you want to glue the board onto the lid or not...if the kids get used to holding the board while taking the legos off, you don't need the glue - this way you can have it as a detachable board as well, but for smaller children it might be better to glue it on...
- the board is hard, so be really carefull while cutting!
- after cutting the length and witdth, don't forget to cut the corners
- after finished, try it out yourself!.....i did ;)
i knew i needed to keep the costumes simple. Ji usualy runs around with his friends the whole time and ends up taking off obstructive parts of his costumes, and little St doesn't enjoy any type of getting dressed too much...
the boys were watching the czech cartoon "the bears from kolin" the other day, and the bears look just like them - tall and slim and small and plump :), so i got the idea of having them dress as the bears. Ji liked it too, so that was that! :)
i ordered the fabric and picked out some nice fitting t-shirts that the boys had and Ji's baseball cap as patterns and used some helpful tips i found here and here...
i was pretty pleased with the outcome, since this was only my second(and third) time sewing a
t-shirt, but i was also VERY reluctant to be finished, phew!
p.s. the cap is made from felt fabric :)
here are the boys trying their costumes on.....St took off his ears after about 10 seconds (lol!),